Tokyo Work: Best Cafes and Coworking Spaces
October 31, 2018 Travel, Japan, Tokyo, Remote Work, Digital Nomad
Tokyo is one of my favorite cities for remote work. It’s easy to get around, there’s good food everywhere, and there are lots of options ranging from cafes and coffee shops to coworking spaces and outdoor locations. Best of all, some of the best places are completely free! Here is a list of the best cafes, coffee shops, coworking spaces, and other spaces for remote work in Tokyo that I have collected over the past 2 years.
There are quite a few good coworking spaces in Tokyo. However, interestingly they’re either REALLY expensive or completely free. My current favorite is AWS Loft. Lodge is also good however it is super crowded lately.
Tokyo has lots of great unique cafés and coffee shops, some better than others for working. Here are some of my favorites depending what I’m in the mood for.
- FREEMAN CAFE - Good food, but smoking allowed
- FabCafe - Fast WiFi, laser cut causes bad smell
- TRUNK Hotel Lobby - Loud music in the evening
- Caffice (Shinjuku) - Expensive, but good lunch/drink deal
- Mercedes DOWNSTAIRS COFFEE
- Unir Speciality Coffee - Open 24/7
- Tenoha Bondolfi Boncaffe
- Weekend Garage Tokyo
- Cafe Mame-Hico - Expensive drinks
- Island Vintage Coffee - Good Poké bowl
- The Deck Coffee & Pie - No power outlets?
- Hands Cafe Shibuya - Small seating area
- Living Room Cafe - Laptops banned after 5pm
There are some really great Starbucks all around Tokyo. Best of all they all have good WiFi and most have plenty of power outlets. Here are some of my favorite Starbucks locations:
- Tokyo Midtown - Nice interior
- MODI - Empty in the morning
- Sapia Tower - Great for Shinkansen spotting
- Ebisu Union Bldg - Nice Interior
- Ginza Six - Nice Interior
- Meguro - Nice Interior, lacking power outlets
- Omotesando - Empty in the morning
Sometimes it’s nice to work outside, especially if the weather is comfortable. Generally outdoor locations are less practical though. For example, the Shin-Marunouchi Terrace is really nice, but there is no WiFi.